Luck and Idolatry - The Sin of the New Year

I think that we (myself included) overrate the new year. What's the deal anyway? Aren't we supposed to celebrate everyday as a new year? If you look at it, today, January 2, 2012 is a new year cause it's 1 year after January 2, 2011. Just a thought.

And what's the deal with new year resolutions? I haven't made one for years. Do you really have to wait for the new year to be a better person?


I love festivities and parties; Games and food. I love that it's another holiday to celebrate. I don't mind the noise but I sure do mind the smoke. The smoke filled with gunpowder and other chemicals that make everything go BOOM and hazy. Maybe I'm irritable cause I am feeling that my lungs are so weak from all the allergies that I got this new year.


So were you able to complete your circle fruit basket and buy the various white thingies (salt, rice, etc). Were you able to waist about  hours of your life waiting for the colored candles to burn out? Did you wear something polka-dot-ty and placed coins in your pockets, then jumped and jumped when the clock struck 12 midnight? Did you buy figurines and bracelets, feng shui and astrology books to aid in you bringing in luck this 2012?

This is what bothers me most during the New Year. It's not the smog, not the ear-splitting bangs of firecrackers. It's all these frenzy for good luck. We're supposed to be Catholics, or for the most part Christians. We all go to church and attend the Mass. We sing praises, we glorify God, we ask for forgiveness and thank Him for all our blessings. We were our best clothes to church and donate money, and yet, we rely on charms, furniture arrangement and bowls of fruit for luck. We base the trajectory of our year on which candle burned fastest. We base our decisions on what our astrology forecast for the year says. People, say what's wrong with inviting luck? And with luck they think prosperity of wealth. I find it sick. I find it terribly, terribly, terribly wrong. Do you seriously think that there's such a thing as luck? Do you seriously think that there's a force far more greater than God's, which when pleased (hence the offering of fruits and a barrage of other charms) will give you prosperity, more than what God will provide? Think now.

Luck is some sort of idolatry - without a physical idol that we can look at, but most people worship it. Most people worship luck, and the frightening part of it is that they are not aware of it. They think that they're not doing anything wrong. Forgive me for my over-analyzing mind, but I feel strongly about this and I am fearful that a lot of us (myself included) have broken the first commandment without realizing it.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you
Mathew 6 :33

Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,  Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies
Psalm 103:2-4

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revampimg my new Craft Nook: Phase 1

Prima Watercolor Confections Decadent Pies for coloring

An attempt for Bathroom Sessions