Reservation in Heaven

I remembered the homily of our parish priest last sunday. I was struck about how simple he explained the Gospel.

The Gospel yesterday was about death and resurrection. Below is last Sunday's Gospel (Nov 7, 2010)

Gospel: Lk 20:27–38 (or Lk 20:27, 34–38)
Some Sadducees arrived. These people claim that there is no resurrection and they asked Jesus this question, “Master, in the Scripture Moses told us: ‘If anyone dies leaving a wife but no children, his brother must take the wife, and the child to be born will be regarded as the child of the deceased man.’ Now, there were seven brothers; the first married a wife, but he died without children; and the second and the third took the wife; in fact all seven died leaving no children. Last of all the woman died. On the day of the resurrection, to which of them will the woman be wife? For the seven had her as wife.”
And Jesus replied, “Taking husband or wife is proper to people of this world, but for those who are considered worthy of the world to come and of resurrection from the dead, there is no more marriage. Besides, they cannot die for they are like the angels. They too are sons and daughters of God because they are born of the resurrection.
“Yes, the dead will be raised, and even Moses implied it in the passage about the burning bush, where he calls the Lord the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. For he is God of the living and not of the dead, and for him all are alive.”
Now our parish priest said that he believes that Heaven uses a reservation system. You also need a ticket to go to heaven. To reserve a space in heaven, and the ticket to heaven, you have to pay in advance. His whole homily used this metaphor, and I was lapping it all up! I loved the metaphor!

His homily really made me think about what I have been doing in my life. Have I saved enough so I could buy that ticket, and a place to live in in heaven? Probably not. If I would sum up all the Good I have done, I would need a "promo" so that I could travel. Something similar to Cebu Pacific's Piso seat fare! Then, when I get to heaven, I probably wouldn't have enough to rent a small tent.

Yeah. I know I've done a lot that are good, but these things that I have done are still not enough. I would try my best to do good, and live my life as close as to how Jesus lived his. I'm not doing this all because I want to go to heaven. I'm doing this because I want to serve him. Maybe the reason why I'm not doing such a good job at it is because I'm not visualizing the prize.

Anyway, I made this blog, hoping that you too would do more good in this world God knows we need it. :)

Have a blessed life :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revampimg my new Craft Nook: Phase 1

Prima Watercolor Confections Decadent Pies for coloring

An attempt for Bathroom Sessions